Aerospace & Defense Industries in Connecticut
Connecticut is a pioneer in aerospace, electric boat and defense. From Sikorsky helicopters and Pratt & Whitney engines to Electric Boat nuclear submarines, Connecticut has long been a focal point for aerospace leadership and innovation. Recognized as a national leader in defense, Connecticut manufacturers bring in more than $19 billion in annual defense contracts.
As both a pioneer and a global leader in aerospace and defense, Connecticut is home to “Aerospace Alley,” an industrial ecosystem of thousands of advanced manufacturing companies drawing from the fourth most productive workforce in America. Based on the strength of our aerospace and shipbuilding industries, Connecticut is one of only a few states in the country to earn the Investing in Manufacturing Communities Partnership (IMCP) designation. With this prestigious designation comes access to more than $1 billion in federal funds for manufacturing economic development.
- #6 State for defense contracts (Department of Defense)
- #4 in Knowledge Jobs (Information Technology & Innovation Foundation)
- #5 Manufacturing Value Added (Information Technology & Innovation Foundation)
- 45.5% of state exports are in the aerospace and defense industry (Aerospace Industries Association)
- 1,000+ aerospace manufacturers and component firms make their home in Connecticut
- #2 in federal contracts per capita (Department of Defense, 2021)